Showing posts with label Joe Duckworth. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Joe Duckworth. Show all posts

Thursday, July 15, 2010

£240,000 Newham boss quits in shock departure

After FTF reported that the Chief Executive of Newham stated: 'As far as I am aware, there is no substantive challenge" when being asked about London City Airport expansion by Waltham Forest Council more news hits the headlines:

As reported in the Evening Standard:

15.07.10

Britain's highest-paid town hall chief executive quit his £240,000-a-year job at Newham council suddenly today.


Joe Duckworth will leave the borough - one of the poorest in the country - after only two years. He was going on a family holiday before taking his career "in a new direction". The council would only say Mr Duckworth would be "moving on", and would not comment on speculation he was pushed.

His departure leaves the Olympic borough searching for a new chief just two years ahead of the Games.

Mr Duckworth was awarded the record salary when he was hired to head the council in one of Britain's most deprived areas. The figure did not include pension contributions, bonus payments or expenses.

The pay packet infuriated opposition councillors in Newham, which has 5,000 people in temporary accommodation, the highest proportion of overcrowded housing in Britain, and high levels of child poverty.

Mr Duckworth said: "The past two years have seen a step-change in the delivery of services. I have enjoyed my time but after two hectic years I have decided to take my career in a new direction and to seek new challenges."

Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: "Joe has brought great energy to the council and I am delighted that together we have improved so much for residents. Newham wishes him the very best for the future."

Before arriving in Newham, Mr Duckworth ran the Isle of Wight, where he angered locals by leaving the £150,000-a-year post after two years. He promised to transform the island's fortunes, but the council was only awarded a two-star rating, meaning services met only the most basic standards.

One readers comment:

Quote: Britain's highest-paid town hall chief executive quit his £240,000-a-year job at Newham council 

Joe Duckworth will leave the borough - one of the poorest in the country.

Says it all really, doesn’t it?

- mickinlondon, london, 15/07/2010 15:27

Friday, July 02, 2010

CEO of Newham Tells Waltham Forest 'As far as I am aware, there is no substantive challenge"



"I can assure you that the noise and other impacts of the proposed increase in flights to/from LCA were fully assessed and considered by Newham's officers and considered by Newham's Officers and members with the assistance of consultants, and there has been, so far as I am aware, no challenge to the substantive conclusions of that process" Quote from Joe Duckworth, CE of Newham Council, 8 April 2010 in a response to Waltham Forest Councils CE, Andrew Kilburn.

____________________________________________________

Fight the Flights launched a legal challenge against Newham Councils decision to allow a 50% expansion of flights from London City Airport, in October FTF were granted a protective costs order by the High Court to challenge the decision, in January the High Court granted permission for the FTF to take their legal challenge to the High Court on all 3 limbs:

(1) that Newham failed to have regard to the Government’s policy on climate change and aviation;

(2) that Newham failed to consult relevant neighbouring local authorities; and

(3) Newham failed to consult the residents of those boroughs.

The legal challenge goes to the High Court in London on the 18th & 19th of November 2010

Monday, August 24, 2009

Press Release: City Airport admits it got its sums wrong


Estimated number of jobs created by expansion cut by 50%

London City Airport has admitted that it over-estimated the number of jobs which would be created by the proposed expansion of the airport by 50%. In a letter to local MP Stephen Timms, seen by the pressure group Fight the Flights, Newham Council reveals that the Airport now acknowledges that there will only be 480 new jobs.

A letter says that “The Airport itself now accepts that the application was lodged before the current economic downturn, bringing with it a downturn in demand for air travel, and that additional employment to the extent shown in the original application is unlikely now to be realised by 2010.”

Newham Council recently gave London City Airport permission to increase the number of flights using the airport by 50%.

A spokesperson from Fight the Flights, said, “Newham Council has always argued it favoured expansion because of the number of jobs it would create. Now we discover it is no more than work in a big superstore. Yet, the extra noise caused by the planes will bring misery to tens of thousands.”

ENDS
For further information:


Press Release dated: 24 August 2009